Monday, February 27, 2012

Wyatt Scrapbook - A Christmas Letter


In November 2011, I purchased a scrapbook at an antiques mall in Carson, California. The scrapbook is believed to have belonged to Laurine Wyatt. I am transcribing the articles and documents contained in the scrapbook with the hope that it may be of value to genealogists who may be researching the individuals named.


Only two letters addressed to Laurine were in her scrapbook. The first, transcribed below, was signed by B.M.C., her room-mate. Where did they live? Perhaps the YWCA, which seems to have figured prominently in Laurine’s life. How did they know each other? The stationery is from the Executive Offices of The Castner-Knott Dry Goods Company: did the writer work there? Were they both members of one of the groups the YWCA sponsored for young women? I wonder what Laurine gave her friend as a Christmas gift. Did they remain friends for life? I hope someday to learn the answers to my many questions.



“THE CASTNER-KNOTT DRY GOODS COMPANY
NASHVILLE

EXECUTIVE OFFICES


Dear Laurine:

I wish that I was going to be here on Xmas. morning, and I could know you were happy as I want you to be. But I'll think of you even though I'm away.

The atmosphere of Xmas. seems to be on your table. It all goes to prove as I'm going to say - You're one of the sweetest girl's I've ever known, and after all that's what counts in life. Wasn't it Franklin, who said, Character is what God and the Angels know about us.

If I were a  poet I'd write a poem If I were  a rich girl I'd leave you wealth, But since I'm a poor girl I leave you all I have-

My love, with best wishes for Your Health, Happiness, and a New Year of Joy.

Love,


Your room-mate
B.M.C.

P. S. Many thanks for the Xmas. gift, you couldn't have given me anything else that I'd appreciate more.”





© 2012 Denise Spurlock, Ancestral Trees Research

No comments:

Post a Comment