Thursday, February 9, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy - Week 6 - Family Heirlooms

My family doesn’t have much in the way of family heirlooms. There may have been more, but my family moved often and I’m sure that things were lost. I treasure everything I have that belonged to one of my ancestors.

Perhaps the most meaningful item I have is a skirt made by my grandmother Myrtle Arminta (Snider) Yawman for my half-sister Gloria Jane (Spurlock) Chaney in about 1953.  It is a blue and white cotton, three-tiered skirt, entirely hand sewn. My sister wore it as a teenager and her daughters wore it to “50s” parties when they were growing up; she gave it to me in 2005. It is an heirloom that showcases my grandmother’s abilities as a seamstress. Since I don’t remember my grandmother, it is something that helps me feel connected to her.


52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your thoughts on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.


© 2012 Denise Spurlock, Ancestral Trees Research

No comments:

Post a Comment