Wednesday, February 29, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy - Week 8 - Genealogy Libraries

For week 4 on free offline resources, I blogged about my gratitude for public libraries and touted the wonderful genealogical resources available in the Los Angeles Public Library’s History and Genealogy Department. It is where I do most of my library research.

My favorite genealogy library is at the Southern California Genealogical Society in Burbank. An overview of their collections can be found here. SCGS offers genealogical lectures, classes for beginners, and special interest group meetings, all at the library. One can order films from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and have them delivered to the SCGS library. The opportunities for research are almost boundless.

But the best part of going to the SCGS library is seeing friends who share my passion for genealogical research!


52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your thoughts on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.


© 2012 Denise Spurlock, Ancestral Trees Research

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love that library. I wish I could visit it more often.

    ReplyDelete