Friday, October 7, 2011

Friend of Friends Friday - Will of Alpheus Beal (Beall) 1833


While researching another family in Ohio County, West Virginia, I found the will of Alpheus Beal (Beall) written in 1833 which is transcribed below; copies of the images follow the transcription.

"Know all men by these presents that I Alpheus
Beal of Ohio County Farmer being weak in
body but of Sound mind and memory make
this my will and testament as follows

First I bequeath after all my just debts are
paid: to my black girls (vis) Easter Lethe
Mariah and Harriett all the property herein
after mentioned  All my land to be rented
until it Can be Sold and the interest to be paid
as well as the interest arising from the money
got for the land after it is Sold to the black
girls aforesaid Second I bequeath to the black
girls above named half of the Crop in the ground
at the time of my decease and also Loom and
tackling--a Cow--one back oven--brass Kettle--
tea Kettle Smoothing Irons and all their own beds &
bedding and Kitchen furniture except the three big
Kettles two bake ovens and one pot
Third I bequeath to the above named black
girls the interest of my personal estate after it is Sold
Fourth I bequeath to my girl Lethe a Sow and
pigs also a sow and eight pigs-- Also Sugar tongs
and six silver tea spoons to Harriet another of my girls
Fifth I hereby will and ordain my black girls (viz)
Lethe Harriet Easter and Mariah free at my death
Fifth After the death of my girls before mentioned
the money remaining in the hands of my Exec
=utors I devise to be paid to Alpheus Beal Willi
=ams my Nephew of Montgmery County Ma
=ryland I wish my Executors to have my prop
=erty Sold at a reasonable credit and they are
hereby empowered to execute all the parts of this
my last will and testament

I hereby appoint Zachariah Jacobs
of Wheeling Virginia my Sole Executor of
this my last will and testament Witness
my hand and Seal this twenty eighth day of
June one thousand eight hundred & thirty then
and thirty three Alpheus Beall (Seal)
Witness
Samuel McKeehan
John Stroop
Benjamin Stroop
At a court held for Ohio County on the fifth
day of August 1833
The last will & Testament of Alpheus Beall
deceased is presented in Court and proved by
the oaths of John Stroop & Benjamin Stroop
Two of the Subscribing witnesses thereto
and ordered to be recorded
A Copy Test Jno McColloch  Clk"



[Source: Ohio County, West Virginia, Will Books, V. 03 1828-1854, 98, will of Alpheus Beal; online images, Family Search (www.familysearch.org : accessed 3 October 2011), image 80.]

© 2011 Denise Spurlock, Ancestral Trees Research

No comments:

Post a Comment