Saturday, November 19, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Thanksgiving Edition


Randy Seaver of GeneaMusings has offered the following challenge for the Thanksgiving edition of SNGF:

Think about the answers to these questions:
  • Which ancestor are you most thankful for, and why?
  • Which author (book, periodical, website, etc.) are you most thankful for, and why?
  • Which historical record set (paper or website) are you most thankful for, and why?

Tell us about it in a blog post of your own; in a comment to this blog post; in a Facebook status line or a Google Plus stream post.


I am thankful for all my ancestors—without them, I wouldn’t be here!

But since I can only choose one for this exercise, I would have to choose my paternal great-grandfather, Ambrose B. Martindale (1844-1918). A.B. (as he was known) was active as a business and civic leader in the communities in which he lived. I have been able to find articles about him in the newspapers of the day, in addition to official records. Of all my ancestors, A.B. is the one who has truly come to life for me.

Hands down, Elizabeth Shown Mills is my favorite genealogy author and speaker. Before I ever heard of Evidence Explained, I read her historical novel Isles of Canes. Her QuickSheets provide a handy reference for writing basic source citations and analysis for problem solving. And I never pass on an opportunity to hear her speak at a genealogy conference!

Again, since I can only choose one historical record set, I am most thankful for the Civil War Service Records available on Fold3. The digitized images of NARA Publication M347 "Unfiled Papers and Slips Belonging in Confederate Compiled Service Records" available as part of this collection gave me the information I needed to prove a family tradition that A. B. Martindale had served in both the Confederate and Union armies!



Disclaimer: I am also thankful to have the opportunity to participate in several affiliate marketing programs! Should you decide to purchase any of the products listed above through my link, I will receive a small commission. The price you pay for the product will be the same whether you purchase through me or by going directly to the seller’s website.


© 2011 Denise Spurlock, Ancestral Trees Research

No comments:

Post a Comment